Thursday, December 4, 2014

Cookies decoration with royal icing: Second part

Here is the second part with my second day of cookies decorated with royal icing. I admit that it is the first time that I have worked two consecutive days in the same project because:

I wanted to check the density of my royal icing the next day.
I wanted to check the colors from previous day
I wanted to try this time the whitening option of decoration.

And I figured out that:
My royal icing was fatter in consistency than the previous day. 
Colored royal icings (even designs made from previous day) were more tense. 
The previous day, I reserved it on the fridge by applying cling film in the whole surface of the icing in full contact. This helps the royal icing to be reserved without being dry....

In the pictures below I have tried to work as much as I could with the outline. I have tried as well to make the outline by positioning my hand a little high in a way to provide continuity in the white line designing. Sometimes it worked well and some others not so well. Stable hand and good density of royal icing are fully cooperative.   



Pay attention as well when you touch your cookies still wet... It is easy to mistakenly touch it. So don't forget that you always deal with a delicate action and you shouldn't waste all this effort (yeap! I did some mistakes as well!!!!) So make sure that your cookies are dry.


And the most important notification: living in north in a dry season, I realized that my icing got easily dried in less than 24 hours. Ideally though it is better to work along your decorations many days before in order to be sure that even if you have to decorate your cookies in two or three different stages, every stage is fully completed.

The most important think you should always remember is practicing. It is not that difficult to work with royal icing but you have to practice. Your inspiration will assist you in designing your cookies and cakes but follow as well the experts of it for tips. In my blog I will have the opportunity to interview experts in the royal icing so don't forget to always check our "interviews" chapter....

Love,
Les Delices d'Eleni




No comments:

Post a Comment